POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Beziers/Quadratics and Cubics splines : Re: Beziers/Quadratics and Cubics splines Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:43:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beziers/Quadratics and Cubics splines
From: Woody
Date: 31 May 2008 23:45:01
Message: <web.48421a1b4698c6af4ed7a4510@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Woody" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Can someone please explain why Quadratics and Cubic splines are even necessary?
>
> AFAIK they are simple to specify:  you just specify the in-between points,
> rather than specifying the control points as well as is the case with bezier
> splines.  The bezier spline requires 2 control points for each point specified
> while in quadratic and cubic they are considered as the next and previous
> points.
>
> Hey, some people do it by hand rather than on inkscape! :)

That's the best way in my opinion since I'm bit of povray purist. It would be
nice if beziers were included as options in features where they are not
currently available (such as spherical sweeps), since beziers and linear
splines are alot easier to visualize (in my insignifigant opinion for what
little change that is worth). And since beziers require a lot less points than
a linear spline that looks otherwise identical, it seems to make sense.

Any chance of these getting into future POV Ray versions?