POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : some questions : Re: some questions Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some questions
From: E T
Date: 19 May 2008 16:35:00
Message: <web.4831e3e3f7bf7fa7c4a94ea40@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > 1.) I have noticed that when i make a plane with a chess pattern, the
> > further
> > the camera looks, the more rumbled the plane becomes. Is there any way to
> > avoid
> > it ? ( even with AA on things don't change much )
>
> In addition to using AA, it can be good to use fog and/or focal blur to
> cover for aliasing in distant textures and objects.

Guys, i'm sorry for bumping this old thread, there seems to exist some news
though. i was searching around and i found this site :

http://sio2.g0dsoft.com/modules/wmpdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=1

this guy among his demos, has 3 of them ( 8th, 9th and 10th from the top ) which
implement real time ray tracing which is done in the GPU with very decent frame
rates. The ray tracing algorithm is implemented as a pixel shader program. So
maybe it's not a far-fetched dream. On my computer ( nvidia 6600 ) i got about
13 FPS with the hardwareraytrace2 demo and about 60 fps with hardwareraytrace.
So maybe it's very possible to use the GPU and the power of their pixel shaders
in order to make pov-ray faster.