POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : "mirror image" of image_map used in HF function : Re: "mirror image" of image_map used in HF function Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:05:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "mirror image" of image_map used in HF function
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 May 2008 09:20:00
Message: <web.48317da34a8bd78778dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>

> > BTW, another odd thing here is that you can't use the ONCE keyword in the HF
> > function's image_map; no detail shows up at all, just a blank, flat HF.
>
> I'm wrong about that; it CAN be used and does work. (I must have been looking at
> a different test image; sorry for the misinformation.) The only minor glitch is
> that the smooth area of the resulting HF not covered by the image_map is
> automatically at full height--not at y=0--as if that part of the HF function
> were *pure white.*

I forgot to say that the ONCE keyword would only be of use if the image_map is
scaled smaller than the 1 X 1 HF area (otherwise it's redundant, since a
FULL-scale image_map automatically covers the HF just once.)

It may not be obvious as to *why* anyone would want to use a small-scaled
image_map in a HF function, using ONCE; but an example would be combining--in a
rather complicated way :-( -- the image_map with a procedural function made from
a pigment or pigment pattern..the pigment's details covering the *entire* HF.
The visual result would be the image_map part appearing only in a particular
area.

KW