POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'spray' : Re: Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'sp= Server Time
18 May 2024 13:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'sp=
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 May 2008 15:05:00
Message: <web.482dd9e68a21c37b78dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> A  more accurate way of getting the pigment pattern's colors into grayscale
> would be to substitute a PATTERN for the PIGMENT; it's already in grayscale.
> I.e., pattern{bozo...} And--as far as I can tell from section 3.5.11.16 of the
> docs--such patterns have 16-bit resolution.

Hmm. I was assuming that eval_pigment could evaluate a PATTERN in place of a
PIGMENT.  That may be wrong.

I.e., if I did this...
#local Mask=pattern {granite poly_wave 2}
instead of
#local Mask=pigment {granite poly_wave 2}

would eval_pigment{Mask....)  still work even though Mask is no longer a
3-component pigment now, but a scalar quantity?

Ken W.