POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MCPov web page (montecarlo path tracing patch) : Re: MCPov web page (montecarlo path tracing patch) Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MCPov web page (montecarlo path tracing patch)
From: triple r
Date: 12 May 2008 22:10:00
Message: <web.4828f7a56f09fee6dcb320720@news.povray.org>
"fidos" <fid### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:
> > Do I need to use the windows/pvbmp.cpp file?  I didn't...
> The modification is necessary because it allow to wrap the current drawing line
> when a pass is finished (and to restart at the top of the bitmap).
> I will check how it is handled on Linux (MAC OS X is perhaps similar).

Thank you very much for all your effort.  The binary works if I boot up in
Windows XP (knew I kept that around for something!), but I don't have any luck
with the gui.  It still renders just fine, but when I open it, it tells me
"Editor DLL initialisation failed [LoadLibary failed, code is 0000007e]," and
most of the buttons and menu items are disabled.  Probably due to my ignorance
of Windows.  You must have been dreading releasing this so you could watch the
errant bug reports and questions start flowing in...

So here's a question at least.  Is there a reason the following scene renders so
differently with the three different options?  Cases one and three produce the
smooth focal blur I would expect, but case 2 produces a sharp cutoff.  I have
tried to boil this down to the simplest scene that causes unexpected behavior,
but I just can't see what the problem is.

Again, I'm only trying to be helpful and really do appreciate your hard work.
Please let me know if you'd like either more or less input.  It seems unfair to
pile all the issues on you when I should probably, time permitting, figure out
the source myself.

 - Ricky

/* FOCAL BLUR TEST SCENE */

global_settings{
    montecarlo{
        mc_rand_seed
        mc_dof{mc_focal_distance 5.0 mc_lens_radius 0.5}
    }
}

default{finish{montecarlo{mc_diffuse{1 3 1}}}}

camera{
    location <0.0,1.0,-5.0>
    look_at y*0.5
}