POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : some questions : Re: some questions Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some questions
From: E T
Date: 7 May 2008 10:10:00
Message: <web.4821b70ef7bf7fa7fcf47f3c0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> E.T. <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > 1.) I have noticed that when i make a plane with a chess pattern, the further
> > the camera looks, the more rumbled the plane becomes. Is there any way to avoid
> > it ? ( even with AA on things don't change much )
>
>   You can bump up antialiasing settings (eg. +a0.0 +am2) but you will never
> completely get rid of those artifacts. It's one problem with procedural
> textures.
>
> > 2.) Could GPUs be used in order to accelerate part or the whole of the
> > processing intentsive calculations of the ray-tracing process ( GPGPU )
>
>   Not really.
>
> > 3.) Antialising in POVray - correct me if i'm wrong - is done in software and
> > thus resulting in alot of added time. Is it possible to let the GPU do this
> > task as all modern GPUs have specialized hardware to do this ?
>
>   No.
>
> > 4.) Does POV-ray uses the the SSE ( 1/2/3/4/4.1 ) instructions sets ?
>
>   As far as the used C++ compiler supports creating SSE instructions.
> Some binaries are compiled in such way.
>
> > 5.) is POV-ray capable of caustics ?
>
>   Yes. http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/424/
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp
Thank you for your fast reply Warp, about the caustics seems i was too fast to
ask, had not reached that part of documentation yet.

Now, if i don't sound too bothering, i would like to ask 'why' on those two big
NO's ( about GPGPU and about AA on the GPU ), if that's not a huge explanation
of course.

Thanks in advance

E.T.