POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : some questions : some questions Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  some questions
From: E T
Date: 7 May 2008 09:45:00
Message: <web.4821b18cdac0f405fcf47f3c0@news.povray.org>
Hi there. I'm new to POV-ray and i'm really enthusiastic about it. I have some
questions to ask :

1.) I have noticed that when i make a plane with a chess pattern, the further
the camera looks, the more rumbled the plane becomes. Is there any way to avoid
it ? ( even with AA on things don't change much )

2.) Could GPUs be used in order to accelerate part or the whole of the
processing intentsive calculations of the ray-tracing process ( GPGPU )

3.) Antialising in POVray - correct me if i'm wrong - is done in software and
thus resulting in alot of added time. Is it possible to let the GPU do this
task as all modern GPUs have specialized hardware to do this ?

4.) Does POV-ray uses the the SSE ( 1/2/3/4/4.1 ) instructions sets ?

5.) is POV-ray capable of caustics ?

I'm a newbie to pov-ray so some of these questions may sound silly or stupid, so
please bear with me :-)

thank you in advance

E.T.