POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Area Lights? For Real! : Area Lights? For Real! Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  Area Lights? For Real!
From: Woody
Date: 2 May 2008 08:35:00
Message: <web.481b0947916ea1d994e61a50@news.povray.org>
I'm trying apply a light source of constant density and illumination to a flat
serface say to the xy face of

box{0 1 pigmnet{color White}}

in the xy plane.

I know that the area light source does not actually contain nxn light sources
but simulates the shadow effect of a mxn grid of point light sources. Am I
correct? Or can I achieve the effect I'm looking for with an area light?

I was thinking of defining

#declare light_box = box {0 1 pigment{color White} translate x*-2 }

and then adding something such as

light_source {
  0.5*x+0.5*y-5*z, color White
  parallel
  point_at 0.5*x+0.5*y
  looks_like{light_box}
}

or

  light_source {
  0.5*x+0.5*y-5*z, color White
    projected_through{light_box}
  }

So whats the dealeo with the Area Light?

Is there another way to do this that I'm not thinking of?