POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Povray (and blender) in the linux package management systems. : Povray (and blender) in the linux package management systems. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Povray (and blender) in the linux package management systems.
From: gregjohn
Date: 1 May 2008 07:35:01
Message: <web.4819aac9db3452da34d207310@news.povray.org>
Povray, in the version that is down-loadable from the ubuntu package management
system, has a bug in how it sets up its directories.  At least one consequence
of this fact is that it messes up the megapov installer.

Blender, as it is on the ubuntu package management system, is only 2.43.  The
new Knoppix 5.3.1 has 2.45.   (I remember that when I had SUSE, its p.m.s. was
even more out of date for one or both of those apps.)

QUESTION: Is the "Debian" package management system a different entity than that
of povray?  Is there any chance that a Debian install would give me less-buggy,
more up-to-date graphics applications?   In terms of what I can get by an
automated process (apt-get, etc.?).

I know enough about linux, perhaps, to install some of these apps myself, but
I've messed things up more than once in doing so, with problems at least as
severe as having my binaries end up in my home directory (thanks, somebody) or
a bunch of trash subdirectories strewn across my /home that I was afraid to
delete. I also know I don't have to given that other distros "come with" better
stuff.