POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STRESS! : Re: STRESS! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STRESS!
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 25 Apr 2008 10:25:00
Message: <web.4811e8e8e6cc31685a8888d90@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> AAAAAAAARGH!!!
>
> --
Pretty much everything I have to say here is pretty obvious stuff that you've
very likely thought of yourself at one point or another.  I do believe,
however, that it can be helpful at times like this to have an objective third
party assist in directing one's focus.

1. Even though we often have very little choice with regard to what kinds of
demands and complications life is going to throw at us, we ALWAYS have a choice
as to how far we are going to internalize the chaos of the outside world and
allow it to disturb our peace of mind.  The company may own a big chunk of your
time, but they own zero percent of your heart and mind unless you choose to deed
it to them. Choose not to.

2. This may sound simplistic, but it works. Take several slow deep breaths, do
some basic muscle stretching and make sure you drink enough water to be fully
hydrated.  Attending to the basics of relieving the physical aspects of stress
can do wonders to help your mental focus so that you can deal more effectively
with the more complicated cognitive and emotional aspects.

3. This bit probably won't be of much help today, but it can be of great benefit
in the future.  Nearly every technically and academically oriented person I am
acquainted with can tell you all of the scientific principles that explain why
one needs keep a regular sleep schedule and eat food made from real food
instead of junk food. Virtually none of them do it.  Making up your mind to
actually *DO* all of those basic things that you already know about in terms of
physically relieving stress and fatigue will have ENORMOUS benefits.

Best Regards,
Mike C.

P.S.  If you take a mental step back and really have a good look at all the
people scurrying around you, it will probably provide you with a good
stress-relieving laugh at them on the inside.

..... and as they say on Vulcan, "Ingest an endothermic lozenge"  ;-)