POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : difference, plane : difference, plane Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:43 EDT (-0400)
  difference, plane
From: stevenvh
Date: 12 Apr 2008 13:35:01
Message: <web.4800f205f926b0c95245d3740@news.povray.org>
In the past I always "differenced" objects, never a plane, and maybe that's why
I never noticed this before. Say I want a sphere with the top cut off:

difference {
    sphere { 0 1  }
    plane { y 0.8 }
    texture { T_Brass_1D }
}

Not what I want; only the top segment is kept. Logic holds that

    plane { -y -0.8 }

should do the trick, cutting away the stuff above the (inversed) plane instead
of below it. But POV-Ray doesn't seem to accept negative distances here!
How do I do this?
TIA