POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How do I convert this isosurface into a CSG object : Re: How do I convert this isosurface into a CSG object Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:58:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I convert this isosurface into a CSG object
From: Bridgeofstraws
Date: 31 Mar 2008 21:30:01
Message: <web.47f19d0a1674250b21397d5a0@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:

> That's correct, as long as you've remembered the 2.8 when you #declared
> your Sphere object:
>
> #declare Sphere = sphere{0,2.8}
>
> The isosurface approaches that CSG as front_smoothness approaches zero,
> but as front_smoothness approaches zero, the required max_gradient
> approaches infinity.
>
> With front_smoothness=0.001 and max_gradient 30 they look pretty
> similar.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

I forgot to add #declare Sphere = sphere{0,2.8}, but you guessed it correctly
anyways.

You've helped me to understand a bit mroe about how the pow function works and I
really want to thank you for that.  I have another question though...
I unfortunately have front_smoothness set to 0.5, which makes the resulting
isosurface much different, so is there anyway I might be able to account for
this besides changing front_smoothness too much?

I could probably reduce the smoothness to 0.1 but if I go any further I loose
the smooth look I want (but I'd do this only as second last resort, the last
being, redoing my isosurface).

Thank you for your help.