POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? : 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  64 or 32.. what to do, what to do?
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 27 Mar 2008 12:20:00
Message: <web.47ebd5e5326bcb2f5a8888d90@news.povray.org>
First, a moment of silence...

My ancient AMD K6 machine, which lived as a Win95, Win98 and Win2k machine has
finally expired.  It has run down the curtain and joined the Choir Invisible.
It is an ex-workstation.

Well.. I'd better replace it then.

As I type, a replacement is being built for me. It's a pretty decent mid-level
machine: AMD Athlon Dual 64 +6000, 2GB ram, 160GB HD, GeForce 8600 video (not
the best, but budget restrictions applied).  Having heard that problems exist
with Windows XP Pro 64 bit in regard to various programs not working properly
and drivers for various devices not being available... AND needing my
replacement machine today, I'm having Win XP Pro 32 bit installed.  I can
later, if I choose, have the system converted to a dual boot system with the
option of starting in 32 or 64 for approximately an additional $200.00 USD.

The question: Is it worth it?

The MAIN reason for doing this would be to run 64 bit POV-Ray. How much does one
really gain by running the 64 bit version.  Are there any other graphics or
modeling applications that would benefit in any serious way?  How bad ARE the
software and driver problems with XP Pro 64?

(This probably goes without saying, but I have NO intention of going with
Vista.)

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Best Regards,
Mike C.

P.S. All my POV-Ray code files are safely stored on removable media. :-)