POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Puting the ID in Stupid. : Re: Puting the ID in Stupid. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Puting the ID in Stupid.
From: nemesis
Date: 25 Mar 2008 21:20:00
Message: <web.47e9b205bd0847b492324d8e0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote:
> By the religious authorities, dictators, kings etc :)

and absent-minded parents! :P

> Depends what you mean by out-of-ordinary heroes? A good man or woman
> would do me.

I'd say being a good person this days is already out-of-ordinary.  But I was
thinking more about enlightned people, like many famous scientists, artists,
heroes and religious leaders...

> Not when I was young in dockland Glasgow. I think that is an American
> thing.

Yes, I'd say I've seen too many sitcoms revolving around neurotic americans...
:P

> Let people have something worthwhile to do and the means to do it and
> they would be a lot happier and healthier.

Yes.  But then, suppose in some near future we reach an utopia where death and
disease have been abolished, useful work is done by robots and all we do in our
free time is entertain ourselves with little hobbies, sex and some sort of TV.
I wonder how much pleasure we'd take out of this kind of life rather than our
ancestral struggle to survive.

But then, supposedly heaven/nirvana is like that.  Only no sex, I guess...

> >I don't force God down the throats of anyone, do I?
>
> Small gods refers to the diminishing power of schisms in religion. And
> no I don't think you do, do you?

No.  And God bless you! :)