POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Who's game to help a vid game novice? : Re: Who's game to help a vid game novice? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who's game to help a vid game novice?
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 24 Mar 2008 12:40:00
Message: <web.47e7e36d871c4f995a8888d90@news.povray.org>
Thibaut Jonckheere <tua### [at] MAPSONyahoofr> wrote:
> Two suggestions in the RPG field :
>
> -Dragon Quest 8 : a very classic "Japanese" RPG, but really magnificent.
> Simple story, beautiful design, a real jewel to play. You might get
> bored by the many battles (absolutely no dextery required) if you don't
> like the genre though.
>
> - Okami : a totally original RPG, with unique graphical style (inspired
> by traditionnal Japanese paintings, among other). I have not played it
> yet, but if you believe the critics the story is also very good.
>
> And one which is more or less in the plateform genre (althoug you don't
> need so much dexterity) : Ico. A nice concept (you must go out, but are
> accompanied by a girl, who has no special agility, etc.), and an
> incredible atmosphere.
>

> Thibaut

By rather incredible coincidence, I picked up a used copy of DQ-VIII last
Saturday.  Your evaluation is, IMHO, spot on... great art, not-so-bad story
with fairly imaginative characters, numerous REALLY annoying rounds of "swat
the monsters for no particular reason". Also, although the story is reasonably
good, the player is pretty much along for the ride with few REAL decisions to
make. "Save kind and saintly old Abbot from perishing in flames rather than
standing around like a complete knee-biter ?   [ ]Yes  [ ]No".

(Similar reaction to "Bard's Tale" which has more cleverness and less tackiness
than the "Quest for Coin and Cleavage" subtitle might suggest, the innuendos
being of the parody tongue-in-cheek type. Did anyone else think the Bard
sounded an AWFUL lot like the GEICO Gecko?)

I'll check out the other two. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Mike C.