POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Is anyone familiar with Blender : Re: Is anyone familiar with Blender Server Time
2 May 2024 00:36:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is anyone familiar with Blender
From: melo
Date: 24 Mar 2008 00:15:00
Message: <web.47e73874cce58246314b3d800@news.povray.org>
Thank you Charles.  had I not taken the time to struggle with this skeletal
animation concept as much as I had I probably would not have appreciated
hearing your story and understood the fine points such as the necessity of
incorporating some level of IK.  Darn, I feel I understand how we humans walk
much better than I would have ever cared otherwise, how else could one describe
the KeyFrames in 3D geometric terms?

Describing movement of each bone segment in relation to its immediate parent
bone.  Could you explain the reason behind that design decision?  Oh Darn,
rereading your notes, and thinking about joint constraints, I can see that,
joint constraints are specified in local terms.  If so, why not use the same
local reference frame for movement specifications as well? So they could be
easily checked against anatomical limitations to keep the being safe and alive,
as s/he moves...

And comparing how my skeletal metalic being moves, to that of Chris's PovPerson.
I could attest to that me taking the easy way out did not work.  My metalic
robotic humanoid walks in place like a robot, while Chris's POVPerson glides
across the screen. I just used a simple linear interpolation, while Chris used
spline interpolation.   Darn I need to reteach myself how to use those, I am
afraid, I could not recall.

Again, I appreciated your taking the time to share the approach you had taken.

Now, your ending remarks invoked my curiosity.  Darn, you highlighted yet one
area I have not heard of yet.  What do you mean by making systems model with
splines?  What are we modeling here? What systems are you making model what
with what type of splines to what end?  Sorry.  Case in point.   I'll stop
questions, before you run out of your patience.

cheers,
Mel