POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Is anyone familiar with Blender : Re: Is anyone familiar with Blender Server Time
1 May 2024 22:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is anyone familiar with Blender
From: melo
Date: 23 Mar 2008 12:35:00
Message: <web.47e69452cce58246314b3d800@news.povray.org>
Charles C <"nospam a nospam.com"> wrote:
> melo wrote:
> >> Has anyone had much/any experience with it.  Am I daydreaming?
>
> I've been reading most of your posts with some interest, largely because
> I've done my own skeletal system in POV-Ray.  It's not in a shareable
> state though, and uses a completely different system than what sounds
> like is in POV-Person. (I want to complete this project before I look at
> others' code.)
>
> Anyway, the thing to know about Blender if you haven't noticed already
> is it has a strong reputation for the steep learning curve with its
> interface.  You don't seem too easily wavered though, so good luck :)  I
> hear that it's great to use once you've learned it.
> Charles

Thanks for your response Charles. Yes, I did hear about the steep learning curve
and less than friendly user interface.  As if to make up for it, there were lots
of documentation some in multimedia format to help with the learning.

Well learning how to use a tool some experts has built is some challenge,
however it does not allow one to learn what it takes to build the tool itself.
Given time, energy, budget limitations we all face, and the unending thirst for
knowledge where do we put our priorities, do I really want to learn how to do
skeletal animation well, or do I really want to start telling my stories,
and/or focusing on potential research avenues that having such tools at my
fingertips open up?

Sorry, for bringing my internal mental processes to this listserve?  My saving
grace is my hope that I could not be potentially alone as a strugle to find the
balance.

Meanwhile Charles, since you have also been involved in skeletal animation using
POV-RAY, if you could share highlights of your learnings and approach, I would
be most appreciate.  Yes, me, Melo, always the curious.  I had been a strong
advocate of knowledge management and sharing initiatives in my previous working
life.   Believing, as we shared our learnings, and struggles, we all grew in
knowledge exponentially.

Thanks,
Mel