POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ratatouille : Re: Ratatouille Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ratatouille
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Mar 2008 22:00:01
Message: <web.47e323b85098c31fdba6f83d0@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> I absolutely loved it :)
>
> And speaking of Pixar, I read recently that Cars was entirely raytraced :)

Not sure.  Renderman is capable of raytracing, but its main pipeline is a kind
of scanline:  REYES.  Besides, I think in the DVD they said the reflections on
the cars were limited to 2 or 3 bounces, not to bog it down indefinitely.  And
all those desert scenaries surely don't require raytracing...

> (Side note of trivia: Each frame of Toy Story took about 10 minutes to
> render, each frame of Cars took about 15 hours!)

Really?!  Even with all the better hardware?! :)