POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ratatouille : Re: Ratatouille Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ratatouille
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Mar 2008 21:05:01
Message: <web.47e3171f5098c31fdba6f83d0@news.povray.org>
Ratatouille is top-notch!  I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, the plot revolving
yet another talking furry animal and... cooking?!  No way it could be any good.
 But Brad Bird subverted so many conventions to make the movie absolutely
adorable:

They are talking animals just among their peers, there's not a word exchanged
between the rat and the humans, who just hear squeaks;

The animals talk, but aren't the typical anthropomorphic fare of conventional

like a human and this serves both to satirize animal cartoons and to make clear

into the kitchen, he falls directly into the sink and inadvertdly takes a bath;

The food critic may look like a typical Disney villain, but has a very human
side;

Linguini under the control of the rat is just worth the movie alone. :)

So many good points I don't want to spoil.  It's damn fun and the food looks
delicious. :)

Graphics are pure CG joy:  the kitchen is stupendous, the fur and water vivid
and the chase scene in the middle of Paris memorable.  The 2D-from-3D animated
Gusteau figures are a nice novelty.  But really, best lighting and lighting
effects (including SSS) I've seen in CG movies so far.

I don't know if Ratatouille would match Gilles' view of Paris though, which
seems kinda "mouseless"... :)