POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software : Re: IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Mar 2008 00:45:00
Message: <web.47e1f958822e8a781034fcd80@news.povray.org>
"Gail Shaw" <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote:
> From an academic point, the perfect adherence to standards would be a good
> thing. However it they do that, so few people will use it that it will be a
> total waste of time and money.

I don't think so.  People have been targetting IE own standards -- including
extended javascript model -- for ages and if it suddenly truly adhered to an
impartial standard, it'd only be less trouble for others to be sure it works
about the same in other browsers.

The situation of consensual disagreement about what exactly something means in a
standard isn't as drastic as he puts it.  Though I admit engineering is less
prone to standardization misinterpretation errors because it relies on
unambiguous math formulae rather than words.  I bet the W3C reports would be
much less verbose at least. :)