POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software : Re: IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IE8 and standards -- Joel on Software
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Mar 2008 00:05:00
Message: <web.47e1ef96822e8a781034fcd80@news.povray.org>
I've read it before.  Very interesting read although not one of his brightest
articles.  One correction I'd make is that in the graphs, Joel makes it
implicit that Microsoft is the equivalent of the original salesman in Mars and
IE the original plug:  Netscape was the one and the original plug being
Navigator, now turned Mozilla.

He also asks:  "what is a web standard?"  I'd say it's whatever that bunch of
enterprises comprising the W3C -- including Microsoft -- do come up with in
order to advance and to level the field for all players, including the little
ones as he puts it.

He also seems somewhat shocked at a piece of technical definition from some W3C
report that don't cause any fear to any knowledgeable CSS author.  I would
expect more from a men of his technical expertise even though this not being
his area.

Overall, a good read, though.