POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Chase Scene : Re: Chase Scene Server Time
1 Jun 2024 11:02:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chase Scene
From: Russell Towle
Date: 18 Mar 2008 09:45:00
Message: <web.47dfd52c38408eb86bc12b900@news.povray.org>
"Dan Byers" <goofygraffix_at_geemail_dot_com> wrote:
> Neat.  Even neater would be seeing the butterflies moving in typical butterfly
> fashion (jerky, crazy, chaotic, yet somehow ending up going the direction they
> originally intended).  Of course, it's easy for me to say things like that
> since I wouldn't be the one that has to come up with the butterfly-motion
> algorithm ;)

True. The butterlies are sort of frozen. This is one of a number of animations I
have made with butterflies following spline curves. I use Chris Colefax's really
great spline macro, which has auto-banking, so at least the butterflies bank
around curves.

I see elsewhere in the forums someone has a 3D model of a butterfly. It ought to
be one of the easier animals to model reasonably well. But to achieve the
chaotic motion you describe would be a bit of a challenge. Heck, even to
achieve orderly and sensible motion would be tough.