POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : quicker render alternatives to povray : Re: quicker render alternatives to povray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: quicker render alternatives to povray
From: Rahul
Date: 17 Mar 2008 12:40:01
Message: <web.47deaced72535d7259eba08c0@news.povray.org>
William Tracy <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> wrote:

> Another idea: Skip the gradients, and paint the spheres with solid
> colors based on distance from the camera (more distant spheres are
> darker). That should be faster to render, and might even be easier to
> interpret visually, even if it won't be as pretty.

That might be a good idea William. Pretty isn't important to me right now. So
long as there is a reasonable degree of depth cue for the users to get a 3D
perspective and they can discriminate between the different sphere types
("colors") I'm good.

Thanks guys! So many great suggestions. I just need the time to try them out
now.
Some of them have potential to lead me off an interesting tangent too! eg. VRML
players might open up possibilities for actual real-time interaction and
manipulation of the images too. Only based on an optimistic assessment of their
performance potential.

-Rahul