POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Physics of an Explosion : Re: Physics of an Explosion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics of an Explosion
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 14 Mar 2008 06:00:00
Message: <web.47da5a85b836d3fa731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Nimish Ajmani" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Thanks for all the help, especially to John.
>
> I think I got the effect programmed right, now I just have to wait for a final
> result.
>
> I'll post that result probably in the animations section when it is finished.

For a first approximation I'd add a velocity in a random direction to each
fragment's forward velocity at the point of the explosion, and then let gravity
control them from then on. As others mentioned, any fireball or smoke/fine
particle cloud will likely stay virtually stationary at the point of the
explosion until it dissipates. With some tweaking this would probably look good
enough for most purposes. A simple wind resistance factor (a decelerating force
proportional to existing speed squared) could also be calculated for each
fragment for added realism.

I hope it looks good, this is something I keep meaning to try!