POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - voting policies : Re: IRTC - voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - voting policies
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 10 Mar 2008 10:25:00
Message: <web.47d5519b32e069a8731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> > I intend to allow voters to rate each image in 4 categories
> >         - overall
> >         - technical merit
> >         - artistic merit
> >         - concept and interpretation of theme
>
>   Does anyone have any good idea about how to avoid cross-contamination
> of categories?

I think I'd rather have 2+ categories than just one. Even if we just had two:

 - quality of image (by whatever criteria one favours)
 - concept/interpretation.

My reasoning is that we need some way to penalise entrants who deviate from the
theme - I remember seeing many images that were technically and artistically
very good, but had almost no relevance to the theme. In that case, what's to
stop someone just submitting an old image that they happen to be proud of? The
idea of the compo (for me) is to create a new image inspired by the theme. A
concept/interpretation category could also incorporate the artistic score.

I always found it very easy to rate images by concept and interpretation. I used
to score common variations on an obvious interpretation lower than more original
or laterally-thought-out images.

However, I definitely agree that 'overall' is a bit hand-wavey, and that four
may be too many categories.

Just my tuppence
Bill