POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media : Re: Media Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 9 Mar 2008 10:10:01
Message: <web.47d3fd2844d655be73e406e60@news.povray.org>
"Archpawn" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I'm trying to make a branching lightning bolt using a series of cones with media
> in them. The cones connect to each other, but when I make them transparent so I
> can only see the media, there are gaps between them.

This is only a *GUESS*, but here's what I would try:

1.) Make the radius of the small end of the cone
a little bigger than zero.

2.) Make the region of overlap between one cone
and the next a little bigger and "merge" the cones
into a single object to which the media can be
applied.

3.) Cheat. Sometimes a NEARLY transparent object
(say a tiny amount of reflection with no ambient
or diffuse light) can nicely fudge a result that
"correct" use of media is reluctant to deliver up.
If you try this, remeber to SPECIFY zero values for
ambient and diffuse,as the default vaues are not
zero.

Good luck and best regards,
Mike C.