POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using a quad core linux box to speed up povray : Re: using a quad core linux box to speed up povray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:31:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using a quad core linux box to speed up povray
From: Rahul
Date: 7 Mar 2008 13:15:00
Message: <web.47d1860aa2f2860c59eba08c0@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
> "Rahul"  wrote in message
> <web.47cf2bbb789d489659eba08c0@news.povray.org>:
> > 1. At shell script level call povray serially in the background so that each
> > successive call is rendered on a different core.
>
> Instead of using a shell script, you can use a Makefile: with the -j option,
> you can tell make to run n tasks in parallel; each time a task is completed,
> a new is started, as long as there is work to do.

Hmm...that might be something new for me to try. I have only used Make files for
compilation before this. How does one integrate it into a "script"?

Let me describe my setup. We have co-ordinate files that we render "on-the-fly"
by parsing into suitable .pov files and then calling povray. All this is
currently done within a wrapper shell script.

Any more guidance?

-Rahul