POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unhandled Exception vs. Parse error : Re: Unhandled Exception vs. Parse error Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:31:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unhandled Exception vs. Parse error
From: How Camp
Date: 6 Mar 2008 08:10:01
Message: <web.47cfeaf282b41cc4c59235590@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:

> Hmm. Sounds like the parser needs to flag cases like this and, at
> minimum, ignore requests to include files of the same name and location.

I think we're talking about two separate symptoms, aren't
we?  I cannot, however, reproduce Tim's scenario -- POV seems to handle
identically-included files gracefully and eventually throws a 'Too many nested
include files' parse error.

But #including a macro, using that macro, and then attempting to call an
undefined variable consistently crashes POV on both XP and Vista for me.
Simplest case:

//test.inc
#macro A(B) B+1 #end

//test.pov
#include "test.inc"
#declare X=A(3);
#if (Y=0) #end

I somehow had the naive impression that '#include' just copied the contents of
the .inc file and placed them at the #include marker in the .pov file.
Apparently, reality is more complicated than that...?