POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : iterative imaging 3 : Re: iterative imaging 3 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 00:44:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iterative imaging 3
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 29 Feb 2008 09:50:01
Message: <web.47c81a60b272b0108cb754d0@news.povray.org>
stbenge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
> > "good luck"... huhuhuhu
>
> That's my idea of a disclaimer ;)
>
> > I never really played around with fractals.  But it surprises me the fractal
> > patterns weren't used, being instead a simple radial transformed... O_o
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an IFS fractal built in a similar
> fashion?
>
> Sam

Yes it is.  In fact, a special case of what you've done is what Barnsley called
the "condensation set" of an image under an IFS.  Just to be sure, I recreated
a bunch of Barnsley's pictures from "Fractals Everywhere" using your technique.

So, THANKS!  This is just what I've been looking for; it should allow me to play
with "Superfractals" (Barnsley's next book) using POVRay.  Also, since other
shapes, patterns, transforms can be iterated, there are many generalizations to
the old linear examples that can be added.

I'd been puzzling over ways of getting POVRay to do this; why I didn't think to
simply input the previous image as an image map; well, that's because some
people are creative (like you), and some, well, less so.  One technique I had
tried that produced some of what I wanted, but not most, was to recursively
call the "checker" pattern.  I might revisit it now, just to see if the new
insights I got from figuring out your technique add anything to it.

Anyway, once I find a few things I like, I'll toss them up in PBI to add to the
collection, unless they're just a lot uglier than what others do.

Dave