POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature proposition: syntax for custom reflections : Re: Feature proposition: syntax for custom reflections Server Time
28 Apr 2024 02:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature proposition: syntax for custom reflections
From: Hymyly
Date: 25 Feb 2008 15:30:00
Message: <web.47c324b17fd3dde563108fea0@news.povray.org>
Warp skribis:
> The better solution is, as already mentioned about a hundred times,
> to create a shader language which, among other things, supports shooting
> additional rays.
>
>   The renderer doesn't need to worry about how the colors are mixed or
> anything because it's the user-written shader which defines everything.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Aren't shaders used mainly for pseudo-realistic effects (such as creating
shadows by superimposing a transparent texture generated from a stencil buffer)
rather than proper raytracing? How do you envision a shader being merged with a
full-fledged raytracer such as povray?

To me it seems that what could be introduced into povray is a system for
altering the lighting model on a local level, which I agree could be done by
creating a brand-new programming language. I did contemplate this while
sketching the ideas outlined in the previous post, but abandoned it on the
grounds that this would be more difficult for newcomers to learn. Writing the
alterations directly into SDL seems like a more streamlined way of doing it,
which is why I proposed that instead.

Of course, a specifically designed shader-like language for povray would be more
flexible, so if you have any specific ideas for how such a language would be
tied into povray without disrupting the existing design, feel free to share it.

Hymyly.
And there was light.