POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet : Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apple cores: a gesture of goodwill towards a post-apocalyptic planet
From: gregjohn
Date: 25 Feb 2008 13:15:00
Message: <web.47c304d5eb19bdc840d56c170@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:31:18 -0500, Sabrina Kilian <"ykgp at vtSPAM.edu"> wrote:
> >Guilt? Nah, more like the desire to see the world still usable for as
> >long as possible. I don't see us getting off of it any time soon, might
> >as well make sure we have a few more chances.
>

> There is also the chance that we may have to come back.
>
> Regards
>  Stephen

That has got to be the most fascinating sociological idea I've run across this
year: that a belief in reincarnation could lead to a basis for ethics, in a
sort of self-interest for one's lot the next time around.  I'm neither calling
you crazy nor say I concur completely, it's just a new idea in my head.

"Chambers" <ben [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message

> Ah, hedonism.  The (dare I say?) logical conclusion of atheism*.

I happen to subscribe that **the actual**, biblical, traditional orthodoxy of
Christianity opposes hedonism and motivates toward selfless humanitarian
concern. In discussing that idea with a number of Christians, from a Campus
Crusade missionary to those waving the flag of biblical conservatism within
Lutheranism, I get flak.  To these folks, the Gospel supports Social Darwinism
and certain forms of hedonism.