POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : general technique? : Re: general technique? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: general technique?
From: Peter Hertel
Date: 23 Feb 2008 09:00:00
Message: <web.47c025cd9cf710295116a38d0@news.povray.org>
> Is there any easy way to get the export to produce an include file,
> instead of a pov scene? When working on the Systema Metropolis image, I
> ended up hand-editing the Wings3D output so that it saved the mesh to a
> variable in an include file, and I could use that variable several times
> in the scene.

Save the file as .inc? ;-)
Seriously though, afaik right now there is no option to toggle the
camera/light/object off when exporting. But still the amount of touching up
required is not very high imho. You just have to delete the first 30 lines of
code, then move the declaractions of materials to another file (if you want).
The exporter declares every object to a variable like this:
#declare wo_0_cube1 = mesh2{
If you export only one object from wings you just have to skip to the last line
and remove the object there, if you have a lot of objects they are called after
every mesh is defined, so it will take more time to hunt them all down.

Still I always use the exported camera once for testing the mesh quickly, then
deletes it.

Perhaps we should do a feature request for a couple of switches in the beginning
of the file, like:
#declare w_Variable_Camera = off;
#declare w_Variable_MaterialDeclarations = off;
#declare w_Variable_Objects = off;

-Peter