POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Motion Capture : Re: Motion Capture Server Time
4 May 2024 14:30:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion Capture
From: melo
Date: 21 Feb 2008 18:35:00
Message: <web.47be097dbbc54f08587ef5e20@news.povray.org>
> Chris B escribió:
> > Ah. Now you've caught me out. What the begeebees is a 6D rotation sensor?
> >

> I think it's the 3 dimensions of movement and the 3 dimensions of
> rotation. x,y,z,pitch,yaw,roll = 6D
>
> But that's just a guess.

You guess really well, Nicolas.  Yes, this is how they defined it, 3 dimensions
to characterize linear movement, 3 dimensions to characterize rotational
movement.  For humans rotational sensors are enough if movement is to be
tracked in place, but if you want to allow your subjects the freedom of
movement you allow for linear motion tracking, for robotics all 6D is used in
the way body parts move.

Here is an interesting definition of Inertial Motion Tracking in 6D:
http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?&verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA474118

A cool example of what some cretive folks did with this technology
http://www.xsens.com/index.php?mainmenu=products&submenu=human_motion&subsubmenu=Moven
I even looked at their sensor kit to see if I can built the whole thing they
build using POV-RAY, so it will be available..

Here is a very good reference with links on the subject "Instrumented Analysis
of Human Movement"
http://www.brooklyn.liu.edu/bbut04/adamcenter/Instrumented%20Analysis%20Website/index.html

Beware once you start following the links you turn into a little kid in a candy
store.  Oh WOW!  Really, Really.   Electromagnetics are cool.  They are all
cool.