POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 21 Feb 2008 07:40:00
Message: <web.47bd70f4b014483d5054540d0@news.povray.org>
> Reflections JUST WORK. Refraction JUST WORKS. Etc.

Reflections and refractions don't just work. You see no caustics at all unless
you enable them and tweak settings. You see incorrect shadows if you don't use
the proper keywords/settings. Etc. Many things don't work if you don't enable
them.

> I can certainly see the advantage of a "I just throw objects in and it
> works" approach to lighting. But then, that's more or less how POV-Ray's
> radiosity feature works. You usually don't have to twiddle the settings
> all *that* much - it's more a question of how many years you're willing
> to wait for the result. And that's the kind of worrying part - how many
> years will you have to wait for the result from an unbiased renderer?

I have seen so many scenes where you still get radiosity artifacts no matter how
hard you try. I'm not an expert so I might be wrong. And with max settings the
speed difference is not _that_ big after all.

> (OTOH, the fast preview you can get sounds like a useful feature. Ever
> wait 6 hours for a render only to find out that actually it looks lame?
> It's not funny...)

Yeah, since each pass in brute forcer is pretty fast, you get to see something
very quickly. And you can quickly decide if the scene needs more tweaking.