POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : custom dispersion curve : custom dispersion curve Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:05:40 EDT (-0400)
  custom dispersion curve
From: AaronD
Date: 18 Feb 2008 06:55:00
Message: <web.47b97198297bdf4b256ade900@news.povray.org>
I would like to render a material that has nonlinear dispersion.  For example,
the dispersion property allows us to set only a single parameter giving us the
strength of dispersion.  I don't know for sure about the implementation here,
but I am assuming that this means that the index of refraction has a linear
dependence on wavelength (color).

I want to specify the index of refraction for each color, in the number of steps
that I specify (just as with dispersion) only in a customized way, for example:

n=2 for red part of spectrum
n=1 for middle part of spectrum
n=3 for violet part of spectrum

Since I cannot do this with the dispersion property, how can I do this?  This
looks like it should be very easy to implement, given that POV-Ray can already
handle normal dispersion.  I just need to access the array where the indices
are held, if that is how dispersion works.

Any suggestion or help is very much appreciated.