POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Feb 2008 21:30:00
Message: <web.47b8ecaa9d4c0fa72afce9970@news.povray.org>
> That you've found.  Again, just because YOU didn't find it doesn't mean
> it didn't happen. <sigh>

well, if you follow your logic, then there's a lot more school shootings
happening right now that go unreported.

> Clearly not enough.  After all, I found a bunch of other incidents that
> predated your statistics and it didn't take a lot of time to do so.

I found this:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020712.html

Pretty interesting.  It just goes on the general statistics of murder crimes --
so there's no way to know if school shootings are in.  Murder crimes, thus,
seem as high nowadays as in the inbetween war times of the 20's and 30's...
only that then it was the result of war, gangsters and others while today it's
insane people with access to guns shooting school teens.

> > huge crowds, big news in TV.  If shootings happened in schools, it would
> > be everywhere, politicals would show up in TV etc.
>
> And that would've happened in the 50s or the 60s as well?

probably not, as we brazilians were living under a military dictatorship who
regularly would arrest and murder University professors and other rebels.  So,
it's possible to imagine that some school shootings happened then, but it was
politically motivated against a few targetted individuals, not some random nut
with a weapon unloading his gun at random students.

I'm not saying it's not as bad, just that this current shooting modality *is* a
novelty.

> Times change.  News didn't used to be sensationalized the way it is now.

I call that BS.  The press has always chronicled passionate crimes like these
shootings.  This kind of news is the real revenue of newspapers...

> So, you haven't seen proof of some things and you believe them, and you
> haven't seen proof of other things and don't believe them.

I don't believe such violent act as random students being shot at will by
maniacs in a school would go unnoticed by the press or by school staff and the
community they live in.  Someone, somewhere, would make a big noise out of it,
make such horrid news spread.  Unless there are no survivors to tell the
tale...