POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why isn't "+SR/+ER" the same as an extract from the full image? : Re: Why isn't "+SR/+ER" the same as an extract from the full image? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:35:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why isn't "+SR/+ER" the same as an extract from the full image?
From: JH
Date: 17 Feb 2008 11:30:00
Message: <web.47b85feeba21acf723eca01f0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> When using radiosity, the part of the scene that are not rendered are not
> treated the same as those that are actualy rendered.
> You start by doing a render at a lower resolution and adding "save_file" in the
> radiosity block. Turn off antialiasing. You can also remove several transparent
> objects, like window panes. This will save the radiosity data to a file.
> Those radiosity data are resolution independent.
>
> You then do a second, full size or partial, render, with "load_file",
> pretrace_start 1 pretrace_end 1 and "always_sample off". Leave everything lese
> in the radiosity block the same.
>
> There will still be some banding, but much less.

Thank you for the detailed help.  I gave it a try, and I got a nicely
unbanded image, but I didn't get much radiosity detail.  Objects that
had vague shadows before now have no shadows.  I used 1/2 the
resoultion for the radiosity file.  (The final image was 640x480.  The
radiosity was 320x240.) Was this a mistake?

Rather than do this by trail and error (each render takes some 14
hours!), I'd be grateful for some guidance.

jh