POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Torrance-Sparrow Model : Re: Torrance-Sparrow Model Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torrance-Sparrow Model
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Feb 2008 08:00:00
Message: <web.47b82ec4ebb6e9fcf33055780@news.povray.org>
I've posted this to the other thread, but anyway:

"here_I_am" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> human face with its texture and shadow map but that doesn't look any way close
> to real face I mean that it has plasticity kinda look.
> And my sole purpose to use Torrance-Sparrow BRDF model is to make this face
> model somewhat more realistic.But I am not sure how implement that.

you see, you don't know what you're talking about.  Why do you think the
Torrence-Sparrow BRDF model will help you getting away from the plastic look?

What you really need is a BSSRDF (subsurface scattering).  Look here for the
comparison:
http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/images/imgs/face_brdf.jpg
http://graphics.ucsd.edu/~henrik/images/imgs/face_bssrdf.jpg

from the man himself, Henrik Wann Jensen, the father of photon mapping and
subsurface scattering models...

It's worth adding though that subsurface scattering is also doable with
scattering media, and povray has support for that.  Take a look at Master
Piqueres experimentation:
http://www.ignorancia.org/en/index.php?page=Skin