POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Northern Illinois University Student Attack : Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Northern Illinois University Student Attack
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Feb 2008 21:20:00
Message: <web.47b7999b9d4c0fa7397502150@news.povray.org>
> (And before you say "well, that's 1996", read the page title - it says
> "RECENT worldwide school shootings")

well, wikipedia is of course always more detailed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

just in the USA:

2008: 5 occurrences
2007: 3
2006: 5
2005: 2
2004: 0
2003: 4
2002: 2
2001: 2
2000: 1
2000's so far: 24

1999: 2
1998: 3
1997: 3
1996: 1
1995: 1
1994: 0
1993: 1
1992: 2
1991: 1
1990's total: 14

1989: 1
1983: 1
1980's total: 2

1979: 1
1976: 1
1970: 2
1970's total: 4

1968: 1
1966: 1
1960's total: 2

No reports of school shootings before that.  The trend of school shooting has
certainly grew a lot beginning in the nineties.  It far surpassed the political
shootings in the 60's, 70's.

Perhaps we can work out some big conspiracy theory at work here to hide the gory
details.  Certainly we can imagine afro-americans in the early XX's being
persecuted when finally being able to go to public schools and jew children in
Germany also suffering from violence before going to concentration camps.

But political persecution is not the motive behind the recent shootings.

> PLEASE do some research before making false declarations.

I did.

> > Never heard of school shootings before, even here in Brazil's favelas...
>
> Just because you've never heard of them doesn't mean they haven't
> happened.

No, because daily we see in the news conflicts between cops and drug dealers in
the favelas.  Whenever any passer-by is shot, it generates huge crowds, big
news in TV.  If shootings happened in schools, it would be everywhere,
politicals would show up in TV etc.

> They seem to think that because THEY haven't seen it, it must not have
> happened?

I haven't seen UFOs.  I don't discard their existence altogether though.
I haven't personally seen the Holocaust, but I believe those old and disturbing
B&W photos and films were authentic.
I haven't seen Jesus, yet I'm a believer.

I haven't seen documented school shootings in past ages, nor any evidence of it
in literary works.  I have no motives to believe our grandparents were living
in denial.