POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based) : Re: Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based) Server Time
5 May 2024 05:57:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based)
From: Woody
Date: 15 Feb 2008 22:35:00
Message: <web.47b658cef13a83cf7ad34f770@news.povray.org>

>   Nobody would write those files by hand anyways, so what's the point in
> having them in readable ascii format?
>
>   Writing the current DF3 file from a program (in basically any language)
> is quite trivial. If you don't know how, just ask.

When you say no one writes them by hand anyway, do you mean its unlikely someone
would code each individual voxel in this manner?

I just thought sinc *.pov files and *.inc files are in ascii text it would make
sense to have non standard files (standard being GIF JPEG etc) also in txt so
they would be relatively easy to edit.

But your point is taken, that you are much more likely to edit a single line of
a POV or INC file then you are to edit a single voxel in a DF3 file.