POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based) : Re: Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based) Server Time
5 May 2024 11:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for *.df4 format (ASCII text based)
From: Woody
Date: 15 Feb 2008 21:35:00
Message: <web.47b64b5ff13a83cf7ad34f770@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <rre### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Woody" <nomail@nomail> wrote:.
> >
> > Any possibility of this?
>
> A good learning opportunity if nothing else (it was for me), but Paul Bourke's
> page provides a full working c code to produce a df3 file.  Probably about a
> five or ten minute effort and you could turn it into a conversion program.  Not
> as accessible as a new format, but at least if you render it multiple times,
> POV-Ray doesn't have to read an ASCII file every time.  Seems like a trivial
> patch to switch it to ASCII-based df3 files too.
>
> http://ozviz.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling_rendering/df3/
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7486
>
>  - Ricky

I did check out the first website. However I found the endian preprocessor macro
confusing. To be honest. I was never trained in plain C, only C++.

I used the VC++ toolkit MS put out in 2003. Anybody know any free C compilers
where this might work for an intel Machine?

Which Preprocessor Macro on the Paul Bourkes page should I be using?