POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell : Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:33:07 EDT (-0400)
  Intersection of cylinder and spherical shell
From: thisroad
Date: 14 Feb 2008 17:20:01
Message: <web.47b4bddb474e1e871f31c40@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I've drawn up a hollow spherical shell, and have a thin cylinder poking through
it like a straw.  I want to highlight just the intersection spots where this
cylinder meets the shell.  My code looks like this:

intersection
{
 sphere{<0,0,0>,4 hollow
 }

 cylinder{PStart,PEnd,0.5 open
 }

 texture{
  pigment{color Green transmit 0}
  finish{ambient 0.5 phong 0.5}
 }
}

When I run this, it appears that the sphere is always treated like a solid
object -- I can get the cylinder inside the sphere, or outside if I use
"inverse", but not the true intersection points.  Deleting "hollow" doesn't
change the behavior.  What should I do differently?

Thanks!