POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Freeware Displacement Mapping for Pov-Ray for Windows : Re: Freeware Displacement Mapping for Pov-Ray for Windows Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Freeware Displacement Mapping for Pov-Ray for Windows
From: FlaPovFan
Date: 14 Feb 2008 00:45:00
Message: <web.47b3d53112f59258d3b1f88e0@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> FlaPovFan wrote:
>
> > It seems that PoseRay's displacement function is actually the application of a
> > bump map.
>
> No, it has real displacement, it is just that the resolution necessary
> to do this in mesh makes it impractical most of the time.

Thanks for the correction, and sorry about the misinformation.

I tried applying displacement in PoseRay, to both .3ds and .obj imports.  It
seems though that the Blender displacement function allowed a more precise
displacement.  The object that I used was a mesh with a uv mapping of a line
drawing, just sharply defined black and white lines.  Blender allowed the black
lines to be raised in relief in a sharply defined and distinct way.  I don't
know if I tried it correctly in PoseRay, but my results showed a general,
nondescript relief.

How is it possible to obtain a similar effect using isosurfaces?