POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray, the renderer, not a modeler. : Re: Povray, the renderer, not a modeler. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray, the renderer, not a modeler.
From: gregjohn
Date: 13 Feb 2008 14:15:01
Message: <web.47b3419c9004553840d56c170@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > 1.  Rephrase this as, "Should you use procedural modeling?"
>
>   "You can perform procedural modeling with POV-Ray" would indeed be a
> lot more accurate than saying "POV-Ray is a modeler", which would be
> confusing. If someone doesn't understand what "procedural modeling" is,
> he can google it.

Amen! I wish everyone who wants to give a 20 word description of povray would
say, "Povray is a renderer.  It is not a GUI modeler, but has tremendous
procedural modeling capabilities in its scripting language."

>  So what if the SDL is not a modeler? Why do you even care?
>  Does that stop you from creating scenes with SDL?
>  Why does it bother you?

Because I know I have never been interested in eke-ing out the last possible
drop of photorealism possible models made with $$-ware applications. I think
potential users such as myself would turn away from the program if they thought
its only use were such.