POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simulating a *visible* laser beam : Simulating a *visible* laser beam Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:35:08 EDT (-0400)
  Simulating a *visible* laser beam
From: INVALID ADDRESS
Date: 10 Feb 2008 01:55:00
Message: <web.47ae9f01e7ebe4ed140a26e60@news.povray.org>
I'm an Optics guy. I have a hard time getting a "visible" light beam from
POVRay.
I would like to generate a beam (e.g. spot light source) which can be visible
and directed towards an object or lens.

I have enabled photons mapping and stuff for the light source and objects, but
the beam is only visible when it hits the object. It's not visible in air or
the background.

How can I simulate a laser beam? Can anybody point me to the right resources
(tutorials, example pov files, etc...)?

I would like to illustrate simple concepts like reflection, refractio,
diffraction on lenses and some other optical objects. But I need to actually
control the beam size and see it. I don't want a *virtual* light source. Thanks
for any help.

--
Cheers,
Peter "Excalibur"