POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection : Re: CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CD collection
From: nemesis
Date: 9 Feb 2008 19:10:00
Message: <web.47ae3faed8699a0444d8956c0@news.povray.org>
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 20:46:46 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> > Random snippet: I remember when the school orchestra performed Ode To
> > Joy. (Don't ask me who wrote that.)
>
> Beethoven used it in the last movement of the 9th Symphony, but it's a
> traditional tune, and I don't know if the authorship is even known.  The
> words were written by Friedrich Schiller (a poet) in 1785, but it's been
> used in music since 1786; Beethoven's use (the best known) is just one of
> many uses in music.  Even Tchaikovsky used it (which I didn't know).

hmm, you say it's a traditional tune (melody) but I've never heard of that.  I
know after Schiller wrote it, many musicians created music for the words, but I
think the melody in the 9th is definitely from Beethoven.  I searched wikipedia
and this:
http://europa.eu/abc/symbols/anthem/index_en.htm

the EU anthem is based on the 9th's Ode to Joy.

is it true it's a traditional tune from before the 9th?