POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bevelled extruded shapes and text : Bevelled extruded shapes and text Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:34:28 EDT (-0400)
  Bevelled extruded shapes and text
From: tiresias
Date: 5 Feb 2008 09:30:01
Message: <web.47a8727e65d08f8cece4ae9e0@news.povray.org>
I haven't used POV-Ray for several years, but I've just been asked to alter a
model that I constructed back then and produce a new animated sequence.

The model has an extruded bevelled shape that needs to be replaced.

As far as I recall I created this by drawing the shape in CorelDraw and
exporting it as a single truetype font character. I then imported the truetype
font into a program I think was called "Wings 3D" which allowed me to extrude
and bevel the shape and then export it as (I think) a smooth triangle mesh. The
triangle mesh produced a nice beveled shape in POV-Ray.

As several years have passed since then, is there a more efficient method of
producing extruded and beveled arbitrary shapes?

Also, is it possible to create beveled text directly in Pov-Ray? When I last
used it, it was only possible to create flat-faced extruded text.