POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OK, who else has had this IRL? : Re: OK, who else has had this IRL? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OK, who else has had this IRL?
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 31 Jan 2008 10:00:00
Message: <web.47a1dc386007541be2b2e7080@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Could-You-Explain-Programming-Please.aspx

Well, I have... now.

I have had similar experiences relating to programming and would guess that many
of us here have had them as well.  However, if you want to experience REAL
frustration, try applying the same general principle to the subject of
philosophy.

At least most people can get a handle on the fact that they can't become
programmers with only a few quick tips over the phone.  Just TRY, however, to
convince John. Q. Public that philosophy is a complex intellectual and
technical discipline that takes years of serious study to engage in at any
significant level.

JQP: "Naw, I don't wanna talk about none of that on-tall-o-gee or
ee-piz-toe-mall-o-gee @#!#@, I wanna talk about PHILOSOPHY, y' know - what *I*
think about the meaning of life, the universe and stuff!"

When someone claims to be a programmer, one can reply, "O.K., let's run that
program you've written and see how it works."  Any attempt to demonstrate that
a claim to being a philosopher is bogus tends to degenerate into a Monty Python
routine:
"That's not a philosophical argument."
"Yes it is."
"No, it isn't. A philosophical argument is a logically connected series of
statements intended to establish a proposition, not just the random explication
of one's subjective impressions or opinions."
"No it isn't." ...

[  Please accept my profound thanks for putting up with my posting a pet rant. I
won't do it any more... much ;-)  ]

Best Regards,
Mike C.