POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature Request - additional SPLINE_TYPEs : Re: Feature Request - additional SPLINE_TYPEs Server Time
3 May 2024 15:46:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request - additional SPLINE_TYPEs
From: Woody
Date: 29 Jan 2008 12:15:00
Message: <web.479f5e132b8c87c594e61a50@news.povray.org>
Kyle <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote:
> I have another feature request for POV-Ray, add bezier_spline as a SPLINE_TYPE to
the spline and sphere_sweep objects
.

I second this idea.

Cubics and quadratic splines may be more efficient from a mathematical,
computing, and rendering standpoint, but for some of us, advanced spline types
(cubic, quadratic), one mans advantage may be another mans handicap.

Example:

Cubic and Quadratics when adjusting control points your not just adjusting the
appearance of the current spline segment, you are also adjusting the appearance
of previous spline segments.

Bezier splines have 2 ending points and 2 control points per segment. Adjusting
the any of the 2 control points only effects the appearance of that segment,
not the appearance of adjacent, preceding or suceeding  spline segments.

Some of us prefer Bezier splines for this reason, since it gives a greater
degree of control over the appearance, since it requires less of the fine
tuning of curves that are necessary in Cubic splines and Quadratic splines.

Is this possible? Or are the current spline types for the different primitives
based upon computing restrictions?

-Woody