POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature un-request : Re: Feature un-request Server Time
2 May 2024 22:08:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature un-request
From: Woody
Date: 29 Jan 2008 12:00:00
Message: <web.479f5af26a92b4f494e61a50@news.povray.org>
>   My point is that it should be possible to define a sphere or a plane
> in the SDL.  If performance dictates that a primitive shape is more
> efficient, then move it down to the C level for efficiency purposes.
> But keep the ability for the SDL to define new shapes, new textures, new
> light sources, etc.  Some of the lesser used ones may even stay at the
> SDL level.

That seems like the best of both worlds people for people who want better ways
to define custom objects in the SDL, versuses people who would rather use
primitive to maintain render efficiency. It would be awesome if both were
included!

Just be sure to keep the SDL simpler than C or C++; One of the main reasons
POVRay is so attractive to people (myself included) is its simplicity in use
compared to those other cumbersome programming languages.

-Woody